[Python-Dev] PEP 460 reboot

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Jan 13 21:13:16 CET 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>> I personally would not add 'bytes % whatever'.
>
> Personally, neither would I; just focus on bytes.format() and let % operator
> on strings slowly go away.

Well, % has some very strong arguments in its favor still -- for
example, the sheer amount of code that currently uses it, the fact
that it's as close as we get to a cross-language standard, and the
fact that nobody wants to tackle its use in the logging module (since
logger objects are often shared between packages that don't know about
each other).

Anyway, the % or .format() issue seems completely orthogonal to the
issues that get people riled up (which are mostly about whether using
either implies some kind of ASCII compatibility).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)