[Python-Dev] cpython (3.3): Update Sphinx toolchain.

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 20:56:20 CET 2014

That's cool, but historical heritage makes the make argument
somewhat confusing for new users. The immediate question I
can sense is "What is the difference between build and make?"

To make (this word again) the critics constructive, let me pass
some ideas about ideal user experience as I see it.

--[installation]--
1   I install Sphinx. Two scenarios.
   1.1   I am not a Python user - use installer
      1.1.1   Installer should obviously install Python
      1.1.2   And install sphinx command
      1.1.3   And add sphinx to PATH
   1.2   I am a Python user - use pip
      1.2.1   pip should not alter my PATH (for virtualenv)

--[usage]--
2   Two scenarios
   2.1   sphinx as a system command from PATH
   2.2   "python -m sphinx" for current virtualenv / test config

--[user experience]--
3   These two invocations are equal
> sphinx
> python -m sphinx

4. They give the following ouput

Sphinx 1.2 Documentation Generator

Commands:

   build           build documentation
   init             start new project [also quickstart]
   make          helper for common build commands

Use "sphinx -h command" or "sphinx command --help" for details

I am not using sphinx ATM otherwise I'd spent more time to
design ideal command set to get rid of build/make duality, but
it should work ok.

Actually "sphinx" is a new command, so you may rethink the
syntax for "build" arguments to contain "html" instead of dir names,
and move dir names into parameters, because it is how it is most
often used.

--
anatoly t.