[Python-Dev] PEP 460: allowing %d and %f and mojibake

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Jan 14 10:11:20 CET 2014

Nick Coghlan writes:

 > "Give up" makes it sound like I got tired of arguing without being
 > convinced rather than admitting I was just plain wrong.

I thought it was something in between (you explicitly said "lenient
PEP 460" doesn't hurt you, but my understanding was you still believe
that there's a safer way, and it's the latter you aren't going to try
to convince folks of).

 > While I'll still work on the asciistr proposal,

Thank you for that.  I really wish I had time to, myself, but not for
several weeks... :-(

 > that's unrelated to PEP 460 - it's about making hybrid APIs less

"It" refers to asciistr or to PEP 460?

 > painful to write in Python 3 when you're willing to place the
 > burden of ensuring ASCII compatibility of binary data on the
 > calling code.

Versus what?