[Python-Dev] PEP 460 reboot

Yury Selivanov yselivanov.ml at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 18:29:58 CET 2014

Brett,

I like your proposal.  There is one idea I have that could,
perhaps, improve it:

1. “%s" and “{}” will continue to work for bytes and bytearray in
the following fashion:

 - check if __bytes__/Py_buffer supported.
 - if it is, check that the bytes are strictly in the printable
   ASCII-subset (a-z, A-Z, 0-9 + special symbols like ! etc).
   Throw an error if the check fails. If not - concatenate.
 - Try str(), and do ".encode(‘ascii’, ‘stcict’)” on the result.

This way *most* of the use cases of python2 will be covered without
touching the code. So:

 - b’Hello {}’.format(‘world’)
   will be the same as b’hello ‘ + str(‘world’).encode(‘ascii’, ‘strict’)

 - b’Hello {}’.format(‘\u0394’) will throw UnicodeEncodeError

 - b’Status: {}’.format(200)
   will be the same as b’Status: ‘ + str(200).encode(‘ascii’, ‘strict’)

 - b’Hello %s’ % (‘world’,) - the same as the first example

 - b’Connection: {}’.format(b’keep-alive’) - works

 - b’Hello %s’ % (b'\xce\x94’,) - will fail, not ASCII subset we accept

I think it’s OK to check the buffers for ASCII-subset only. Yes, it
will have some sort of sub-optimal performance, but then, it’s quite
rare when string formatting is used to concatenate huge buffers.

2. new operators {!b} and %b. This ones will just use ‘__bytes__’ and
Py_buffer.

--
Yury Selivanov