[Python-Dev] Changing Clinic's output

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Tue Jan 14 21:54:31 CET 2014

On 01/14/2014 12:48 PM, Zachary Ware wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 2:22 PM, Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:
>> I have now received exactly zero feedback about the prototype, which
>> suggests people aren't using it.
> Oops, I had half a post written about this two days ago, but never got
> it posted.
>
> I did some experimenting on winreg.c (see
> http://hg.python.org/sandbox/zware/file/prototype_clinic/PC/winreg.c),
> and I have to say I really really like having most of the output
> shunted down to the bottom of the file.

I will consider you a +1 on the "buffer" approach and NaN on the other
approaches.

> One thing that I could see being useful (though possibly not easy) is
> the ability to dump a buffer "late"; for example, near the top of the
> file:
>
> /*[clinic input]
> destination prototypes new buffer
> output parser_prototype prototypes
> dump prototypes later
> [clinic start generated code]*/
>
> Then process the file, filling the prototypes buffer as we go.  At the
> end of the file, go back and dump the buffer in that output block.

That wouldn't be too hard.  But conceptually it would make Clinic much
more complicated.  For example, I suggest that "later" is a confusing
name, because the output will actually happen *earlier* in the file.
"If it's hard to explain, it may be a bad idea." ;-)

//arry/