[Python-Dev] PEP 460: allowing %d and %f and mojibake

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 23:21:05 CET 2014

On 15 Jan 2014 08:14, "Greg Ewing" <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>
>> Actually, Nick explained that asciistr() + asciistr() returns str,
>

> That part seems wrong to me, because it means that
> you can't write polymorphic byte/string functions
> that are composable.
>
> I would be -1 on that, and prefer that
> asciistr + asciistr --> asciistr.

You have to pretty much reimplement str to do that. I wouldn't say no to a
patch that implemented it, but we're unlikely to do that much work
ourselves for something which is primarily intended as a proof of concept.

Cheers,
Nick.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com