[Python-Dev] PEP 460 reboot

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Jan 15 00:05:20 CET 2014

Ethan Furman wrote:
> On 01/14/2014 10:11 AM, Jim J. Jewett wrote:
>

>> But in terms of explaining the text model, that
>> separation is important enough that
>

>>      (2)  It *may* be worth creating a virtual
>>           split in the documentation.
>

> I think (2) is a great idea.

I don't think it's such a great idea to belabour this
point.

The notion of an ASCIIStructuredBytes type seems to
assume that you have *either* ascii-encoded text *or*
some other kind of data. But many of the use cases
for all of this involve constructing a single object,
parts of which are one and parts of which are another.
It's hard to think of that in terms of virtual
classes unless you're willing to imagine that different
parts of the same object are of different types,
which, for a primitive object like bytes, doesn't
make sense in the context of the Python object
model.

By all means point out that the ascii features of
bytes are intended for use on data that happens to
be ascii, and shouldn't be used otherwise. But I
think that talking about "virtual classes" just
risks confusing people, particulary when we
have ABCs, which are also a kind of virtual class
represented by real class objects.

--
Greg