[Python-Dev] Changing Clinic's output

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Tue Jan 14 23:47:05 CET 2014

On 01/14/2014 01:38 PM, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> FWIW, I think everyone should place a lot of weight on
> Serhiy's comments and suggestions.  His reasoning is
> clear and compelling.  And the thoughts are all soundly
> based on extensive experience with the clinic's effect on
> the C source code.

One more bit of anecdotal evidence.  I suggest that I have easily the
most extensive experience with working with Clinic.  Serhiy filed his
first patch converting to Clinic nine days ago; I've been working on
Clinic for about eighteen months, on and off.  And I got used to living
with the "sprinkling" approach a long long time ago. I no longer ever
mistake generated code for handwritten code, and I don't ever modify the
generated text.  It's basically fine.

This is not to dismiss Serhiy's observations.  Nor to say that my
experiences will be universal.  Nor indeed to suggest that learning to
live with Clinic's out as it exists today is a desirable skill. I merely
suggest that if we didn't modify the output of Clinic it might be
survivable.

Cheers,

//arry/

p.s. " You get used to it. I...I don't even see the code. All I see is
blonde, brunette, red-head. Hey, you uh... want a drink?"