[Python-Dev] PEP 460: allowing %d and %f and mojibake

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Jan 15 01:03:13 CET 2014

Nick Coghlan wrote:

> On 15 Jan 2014 08:00, "Greg Ewing" <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
> <mailto:greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz>> wrote:
 >
>  > If so, would it help if asciistr were a built-in
>  > type, so that other things could be made aware of
>  > it?
>
> That way lies the Python 2 text model, and we're not going there. It's
> probably best to think of asciistr as a way of demonstrating a
> rhetorical point about the superiority of the Python 3 text model

Hmmm... something like "The Python 3 text model is so
superior that we have to use this weird hack to write
something that makes perfectly good semantic sense
but is very awkward to write otherwise" ?-)

Anyhow, I've now convinced myself that asciistr as
a type is completely unnecessary -- see earlier post.

--
Greg