[Python-Dev] python code in argument clinic annotations

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Thu Jan 16 20:55:11 CET 2014

On 01/16/2014 11:46 AM, Yury Selivanov wrote:
> There is just one reason for having it in C --
> having it integrated in the build process,
> so that the generated output/sidefiles
> are not in the repository.

It's possible to integrate Argument Clinic into the build process
without rewriting it in C.  We could write a small C program that looked
on your path for a suitable Python 3 interpreter, and ran
Tools/clinic/clinic.py under that interpreter.  If it failed to find
such an interpreter it could print a warning message.

Alternatively, we could add a checksum for the Clinic *input* block to
the output somewhere.  This would give the C tool the ability to check
and see if the Clinic input had changed, and only bother to run
clinic.py if it had.

However, the generated output is still going to be checked in to the
repository regardless.

//arry/