[Python-Dev] Migration from Python 2.7 and bytes formatting

Neil Schemenauer nas at arctrix.com
Fri Jan 17 21:19:31 CET 2014

On 2014-01-17, Ryan Gonzalez wrote:
> A command line parameter??

I believe it has to be global flag.  A __future__ statement will not
work.  Probably we should allow the flag to be set with an
environment variable as well.

> The annoying part would be telling every single user to call Python with a
> certain argument and hope they read the README.
>
> If it's a library, out of the question.
>
> If it's a program, well, I hope your users read READMEs.

The purpose of the command line parameter is not for end users.  It
is intended to help developers port millions of lines of existing
Python 2.x code.  I'm very sad if Python core developers don't
realize the enormity of the task and don't continue to make efforts
to make it easier.

Regards,

  Neil