[Python-Dev] .clinic.c vs .c.clinic

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Mon Jan 20 09:05:16 CET 2014

On 01/19/2014 08:29 AM, Ethan Furman wrote:
> On 01/19/2014 03:32 AM, Georg Brandl wrote:
>> Am 19.01.2014 11:19, schrieb Larry Hastings:
>>> Not kidding, my best idea so far is "foo.clinic.h.h",
>>
>> Why not always put clinic into its own directory?
>>
>> Modules/mathmodule.c -> Modules/clinic/mathmodule.c.h
>> Modules/mathmodule.h -> Modules/clinic/mathmodule.h.h
>>
>> At least that is consistent, allows easy exclusion in tools, and gets
>> rid
>> of the additional "clinic" in the filename.
>
> +1
>
> If AC will work with both .c and .h files. I think a separate
> directory is the way to go.

In theory, Argument Clinic works with any file for which it can iterate
over by lines and recognize comments.  It current supports C and Python
files and automatically recognizes a bunch of extensions.

--------------------

Okay, I'm taking a poll.  I will total your answers and take the
result... strongly under advisement. ;-)

The rules:
* The poll will be over in 48 hours, maybe sooner if a winner emerges early.
* Please express your vote from -1 to +1.  -0 and +0 will only be
differentiated during a tiebreaker.
* If you don't vote for a contestant, your vote will be assumed to be 0.
* You may change your vote at any time while the poll is still running.
* If you wish to nominate a new contestant, you may.  Please give the
contestant a name, and express how it would transform the filenames
"foo.c" and "foo.h".  I would strongly prefer that all transformations
be expressable using str.format(transformation, filename="foo.c",
basename="foo", extension=".c") .

The contestants so far:

Contestant 1: "Add .clinic.h"

    foo.c -> foo.c.clinic.h
    foo.h -> foo.h.clinic.h

Contestant 2: "Add .ac.h"

    foo.c -> foo.c.ac.h
    foo.h -> foo.h.ac.h

Contestant 3: "Add .clinic"

    foo.c -> foo.c.clinic
    foo.h -> foo.h.clinic

Contestant 4: "Put in clinic directory, add .h"

    foo.c -> clinic/foo.c.h
    foo.h -> clinic/foo.h.h

Contestant 5: "Put in __clinic__ directory, add .h"

    foo.c -> __clinic__/foo.c.h
    foo.h -> __clinic__/foo.h.h

I didn't add a contestant for what Stefan Krah originally suggested
("foo.c -> foo.h") because it's not clear how this would handle "foo.h".

You'll notice the current behavior is no longer in the running,

//arry/