[Python-Dev] Enable Hostname and Certificate Chain Validation

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Wed Jan 22 12:42:00 CET 2014

On Jan 22, 2014, at 6:21 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2. Your proposal is that because some application authors have not
> opted in yet, we should penalise the end users of those applications
> by stopping them being able to use unverified https? And don't forget,
> applications that haven't opted in will have no switch to allow
> unverified use. That seems to be punishing the wrong people.

Another thought, if this is seriously a blocker something simple like
an environment variable could be added that switches the default.
Which would act as a global sort of —insecure flag for applications
that don’t provide one. I really don’t like the idea of doing that, but
it would be better than not validating by default.

Donald Stufft