[Python-Dev] str.rreplace

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 24 18:40:05 CET 2014

On 24/01/2014 17:19, Ram Rachum wrote:
> Hmm, on one hand I understand the need for the separation between
> python-dev and python-list, but on the other hand I don't think
> python-list is a good place to discuss Python, the language.
>
> I now looked at the 17 most recent python-list threads. Out of them:
>
>   - 58% are about third-party packages.
>   - 17% are off-topic (not even programming related)
>   - 11% are 2-vs-3 discussions
>   - 5% are job offers.
>   - 5% (which is just one thread out of 17) is about Python the language.

I'm extremely impressed by your knowledge of statistics, it must have
taken you many man years of effort to analyse all 17 threads in such detail.

> So can you understand why someone would be reluctant to start a
> discussion in python-list about Python the language there? Especially if
> this is the same place where beginners might ask newbies questions about
> Python? (So not only are actual Python questions just 5% of the content,
> non-newbie questions are just a subset of that 5%.)
>
> it's full of people asking about third-party Python packages, or asking
> newbie questions.

How terrible, fancy having the audacity to ask about third party
packages or newbie questions on the *MAIN* Python mailing list.  There's
yet another reason to bring back the death penalty in the UK.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence