[Python-Dev] New policies for the Derby -- please read!

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Sat Jan 25 16:37:40 CET 2014

On 01/25/2014 07:26 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> However, you've indicated that adding varargs support is going to take
> you quite a bit of work, so postponing it is an option definitely
> worth considering at this point in the release cycle.

It's worth considering.  I'm estimating it's about 1.5 days' worth of
work.  Mainly because, at the same time, I need to teach Clinic to have
separate namespaces for "parser" and "impl" functions.  At the same time
I was going to implement a frequently-requested feature, allowing the C
variable storing an argument to have a different name than the actual
Python parameter.

And it could be one of those "hey that was easier than I thought"
things.  1.5 days is kind of worst-case.  So maybe the best thing would
be to give it a half-day and see if it turned out to be easy.

Of course, If we bring the Derby to a close now-ish (debate going on in
python-committers right now!), then I'll definitely put it off until 3.5.

//arry/