[Python-Dev] == on object tests identity in 3.x

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Tue Jul 8 05:47:23 CEST 2014

On 07/07/2014 08:34 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Ethan Furman writes:
>
>> And what would be this 'sensible definition' [of value equality]?
>
> I think that's the wrong question.  I suppose Andreas's point is that
> when the programmer doesn't provide a definition, there is no such
> thing as a "sensible definition" to default to.  I disagree, but given
> that as the point of discussion, asking what the definition is, is moot.

He eventually made that point, but until he did I thought he meant that there was such a sensible default definition, he
just wasn't sharing what he thought it might be with us.

>> 2) The 'is' operator is specialized, and should only rarely be
>>    needed.
>
> Nitpick: Except that it's the preferred way to express identity with
> singletons, AFAIK.  ("if x is None: ...", not "if x == None: ...".)

Not a nit at all, at least in my code -- the number of times I use '==' far outweighs the number of times I use 'is'.
Thus, 'is' is rare.

(Now, of course, I'll have to go measure that assertion and probably find out I am wrong :/ ).

--
~Ethan~