[Python-Dev] PEP 3121, 384 Refactoring Issues

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 01:57:39 CEST 2014

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> I'm just curious as to why there are 54 open issues after both of these
> PEPs have been accepted and 384 is listed as finished.  Did we hit some
> unforeseen technical problem which stalled development?

I tried to bring some sanity to that effort by opening a "meta issue":

http://bugs.python.org/issue15787

My enthusiasm, however, vanished after I reviewed the refactoring for the
datetime module:

http://bugs.python.org/issue15390

My main objections are to following PEP 384
<http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0384/> (Stable ABI) within stdlib
modules.  I see little benefit for the stdlib (which is shipped fresh with
every new version of Python) from following those guidelines.