[Python-Dev] Remaining decisions on PEP 471 -- os.scandir()

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 14:31:16 CEST 2014

On 15 July 2014 13:19, Ben Hoyt <benhoyt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmmm, perhaps. You suggest .full_name implies it's the absolute path,
> which isn't true. I don't mind .path, but it kind of sounds like "the
> Path object associated with this entry". I think "full_name" is fine
> -- it's not "abs_name".

Interesting. I hadn't really thought about it, but I might have
assumed full_name was absolute. However, now I see that it's "only as
absolute as the directory argument to scandir is". Having said that, I
don't think that full_name *implies* that, just that it's a possible
mistake people could make. I agree that "path" could be seen as
implying a Path object.

My preference would be to retain the name full_name, but just make it
explicit in the documentation that it is based on the directory name
argument.

Paul