[Python-Dev] == on object tests identity in 3.x - list delegation to members?

Andreas Maier andreas.r.maier at gmx.de
Wed Jul 16 13:40:03 CEST 2014

Am 13.07.2014 22:05, schrieb Akira Li:
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> writes:
>> definition of floats and the definition of container invariants like
>> "assert x in [x]")
>>
>> The current approach means that the lack of reflexivity of NaN's stays
>> confined to floats and similar types - it doesn't leak out and infect
>> the behaviour of the container types.
>>
>> What we've never figured out is a good place to *document* it. I
>> thought there was an open bug for that, but I can't find it right now.
>
> There was related issue "Tuple comparisons with NaNs are broken"
> http://bugs.python.org/issue21873
> but it was closed as "not a bug" despite the corresponding behavior is
> *not documented* anywhere.

I currently know about these two issues related to fixing the docs:

http://bugs.python.org/11945 - about NaN values in containers
http://bugs.python.org/12067 - comparisons

I am working on the latter, currently. The patch only targets the
comparisons chapter in the Language Reference, there is another
comparisons chapter in the Library Reference, and one in the Tutorial.

I will need to update the patch to issue 12067 as a result of this
discussion.

Andy