[Python-Dev] PEP 471 "scandir" accepted

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 00:26:02 CEST 2014

Hi,

I asked privately Guido van Rossum if I can be the BDFL-delegate for
the PEP 471 and he agreed. I accept the latest version of the PEP:

    http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0471/

I consider that the PEP 471 "scandir" was discussed enough to collect
all possible options (variations of the API) and that main flaws have
been detected. Ben Hoyt modified his PEP to list all these options,
and for each option gives advantages and drawbacks. Great job Ben :-)
Thanks all developers who contributed to the threads on the python-dev
mailing list!

The new version of the PEP has an optional "follow_symlinks" parameter
which is True by default. IMO this API fits better the common case,
list the content of a single directory, and it's now simple to not
follow symlinks to implement a recursive function like os.walk().

The PEP also explicitly mentions that os.walk() will be modified to
benefit of the new os.scandir() function.

I'm happy because the final API is very close to os.path functions and
pathlib.Path methods. Python stays consistent, which is a great power
of this language!

The PEP is accepted. It's time to review the implementation ;-) The
current code can be found at:

   https://github.com/benhoyt/scandir

(I don't think that Ben already updated his implementation for the
latest version of the PEP.)

Victor