[Python-Dev] Internal representation of strings and Micropython

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 4 17:52:26 CEST 2014

On 04/06/2014 16:32, Steve Dower wrote:

> If copying into a separate list is a problem (memory-wise), re.finditer('\\S+', string) also provides the same behaviour and gives me the sliced string, so there's no need to index for anything.

Out of idle curiosity is there anything that stops MicroPython, or any
other implementation for that matter, from providing views of a string
rather than copying every time?  IIRC memoryviews in CPython rely on the
buffer protocol at the C API level, so since strings don't support this
protocol you can't take a memoryview of them.  Could this actually be
implemented in the future, is the underlying C code just too
complicated, or what?

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---