[Python-Dev] Internal representation of strings and Micropython

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 02:01:23 CEST 2014

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 5:11 PM, Paul Sokolovsky <pmiscml at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jun 2014 16:12:23 -0600
> Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Actually, there is a "formal, implementation-independent language
>> spec":
>>
>> https://docs.python.org/3/reference/
>
> Opening that link in browser, pressing Ctrl+F and pasting your quote
> gives zero hits, so it's not exactly what you claim it to be. It's also
> pretty far from being formal (unambiguous, covering all choices, etc.)
> and comprehensive. Also, please point me at "conformance" section.
>
> That said, all of us Pythoneers treat it as the best formal reference
> available, no news here.

It's not just the best formal reference.  It's the official
specification.  I agree it is not so "formal" as other language
specifications and it does not enumerate every facet of the language.
However, underspecified parts are worth improving (as we've done with
the import system portion in the last few years).  Incidentally, the
efforts of other Python implementors have often resulted in such
improvements to the language reference.  Those improvements typically
come as a result of questions to this very list. :)  That's
essentially what this email thread is!

-eric