[Python-Dev] Internal representation of strings and Micropython

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 11:13:06 CEST 2014

Hello,

On Thu, 5 Jun 2014 22:21:30 +1000
Tim Delaney <timothy.c.delaney at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5 June 2014 22:01, Paul Sokolovsky <pmiscml at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > All these changes are what let me dream on and speculate on
> > possibility that Python4 could offer an encoding-neutral string type
> > (which means based on bytes)
> >

> To me, an "encoding neutral string type" means roughly "characters are
> atomic", and the best representation we have for a "character" is a

And for me it means exactly what "encoding neutral string type" moniker
promises - that you should not make any assumption about its encoding.
That kinda means "string is atomic", instead of your "characters are
atomic". That's the most basic level, and you can write a big enough
set of applications using it - for example, get some information from
user, store in database, then show back to user at later time.

[]

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com