[Python-Dev] Moving Python 3.5 on Windows to a new compiler

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Fri Jun 6 20:25:14 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 10:19 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 4:12 AM, Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com> wrote:
>> Chris Angelico wrote:
>>>
>>> Oh, if only this had been available for 2.7!! Actually... this means that 14.0 would be a good target for a compiler change for 2.7.x, if such a change is ever acceptable.
>>
>> Maybe, but I doubt it will ever be acceptable :)
>
> Well, there were discussions. Since Python 2.7's support is far
> exceeding the Microsoft promise of support for the compiler it was
> built on, there's going to be a problem, one way or the other. I don't
> know how that's going to end up being resolved.

We're going to have to change it at some point, otherwise we're going
to have people in 2018 scrambling to find VS2008, which will be 35
versions too old by then. No matter what we do here, we're going to
have a tough PR situation, but we have to make something workable. I'd
rather cause a hassle than outright kill extensions.

I would probably prefer we aim for VS 14 for 3.5, and then explore
making the same change for the 2.7.x release that comes after 3.5.0
comes out. Lessons learned and all that.