[Python-Dev] Moving Python 3.5 on Windows to a new compiler

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sat Jun 7 06:47:38 CEST 2014

On Jun 7, 2014, at 12:41 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7 June 2014 08:43, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Brett Cannon <bcannon at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Nope. A new minor release of Python is a massive undertaking which is why
>>> we have saved ourselves the hassle of doing a Python 2.8 or not giving a
>>> clear signal as to when Python 2.x will end as a language.
>>
>> Why not just define Python 2.8 as Python 2.7 except with a newer compiler?
>> I cannot see why that would be massive undertaking, if changing compiler
>> for 2.7 is neccesary anyway.
>
> It's honestly astonishing the number of people that tell us doing a
> new minor release of Python 2 is easy, and then refuse to believe us
> when we tell them it isn't.
>
> It's 2014 and Python *2.7*, which was released in *2010*, is STILL
> BEING ROLLED OUT. One part of the rollout that is near & dear to my
> own heart is the fact that Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 and CentOS 7 are
> still in their respective release candidate phases, and it is the 6 ->
> 7 transition that finally upgrades their system Pythons from 2.6 to
> 2.7. Maya 2014 & MotionBuilder 2014 are also the first versions
> Autodesk are shipping that use 2.7 rather than 2.6 as the scripting
> engine (although my understanding is that Autodesk don't guarantee
> compatibility with Python C extensions that aren't built specifically
> for use with their products, so they already use a newer C runtime on
> Windows than we do).
>
> And once those two dominoes fall, then there'll be some additional
> follow on upgrade work in some parts of the developer community as the
> *users* that receive their Python through those channels rather than
> directly from upstream switch from 2.6 to 2.7 and stumble over the
> small compatibility breaks between those two releases.
>
> Words like "just", or "simple", or "easy" really have no place being
> applied to a task where the time required to fully execute it with *no
> significant problems* is still measured in years.

How much of that time exists because there were actual significant
changes from 2.6 to 2.7 and how much of it would not need to exist
if 2.8 was literally 2.7.Z with a new compiler on Windows. IOW is it
the *version* number that causes the slow upgrade, or is it the fact
that there are enough changes that it can’t be safely applied
automatically.