[Python-Dev] Criticism of execfile() removal in Python3

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 00:39:29 CEST 2014

On 17 Jun 2014 03:42, "Chris Barker" <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

>> > If the amount of typing is the problem, that's easy to solve:
>> >
>> > # do this once
>> > def execfile(name):
>> >     exec(open("file.py").read())
>

> FWIW, when I started using python (15?) years ago -- the first thing I
looked for was a way to "just run a file", at the interactive prompt, like
I had in MATLAB. I found and used execfile().

Yes, if people are looking for a MATLAB replacement, they want IPython
rather than the default REPL.

The default one is deliberately minimal, IPython is designed to be a
comprehensive numeric and scientific workspace.

Cheers,
Nick.