[Python-Dev] Issue 21671: CVE-2014-0224 OpenSSL upgrade to 1.0.1h on Windows required

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Jun 17 22:58:45 CEST 2014

On 17.06.2014 22:36, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Le 17/06/2014 14:55, M.-A. Lemburg a écrit :
>>
>> Alternatively, you could make use of our pyOpenSSL distribution,
>> which includes pyOpenSSL and the OpenSSL libs (also for Windows):
>>
>> http://www.egenix.com/products/python/pyOpenSSL/
>>
>> We created this to address the problem of having to update
>> OpenSSL rather often.
>
> This is very nice, but does it also upgrade the OpenSSL version used by the _ssl and _hashlib modules?

On Unix, tt will if you load pyOpenSSL before importing _ssl or
_hashlib (and those modules are built as shared libs).

Alternatively, you can set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to lib/python2.7/OpenSSL
to have the system linker use the embedded libs before starting
Python. Then it will always use the up-to-date libs.

On Windows, this won't work, because _ssl and _hashlib are
statically linked against the OpenSSL libs.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 17 2014)
2014-06-17: Released eGenix PyRun 2.0.0 ...       http://egenix.com/go58
2014-06-09: Released eGenix pyOpenSSL 0.13.3 ...  http://egenix.com/go57
2014-07-02: Python Meeting Duesseldorf ...                 15 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/