[Python-Dev] Issue 21671: CVE-2014-0224 OpenSSL upgrade to 1.0.1h on Windows required

Yates, Andy (CS Houston, TX) ayates at hp.com
Thu Jun 19 20:06:51 CEST 2014

Thanks for all the good information.  We ended up building _ssl and _hashlib and dropping those into the existing Python on our build server.  That seems to be working fine.

>From my perspective ssl libraries are a special case. I think I could handle any other included library having a flaw for weeks or months, but my management and customers are sensitive to releasing software with known ssl vulnerabilities.  For Windows Python it looks like the only option for updating OpenSSL is to build from source. For us that turned out to be no big deal. However, it may be beyond the reach of some, either technically or due to the lack of access to Dev Studio.  There's also some concern that a custom build of Python may not have some secret sauce or complier switch that could cause unexpected behavior.

That said, I'd like to see Python spin within a short period of time after a recognized OpenSSL vulnerability is fixed if is statically linked.  This would limit exposure to the unsuspecting user who downloads Windows Python from Python.org. The next best thing would be to dynamically link to Windows OpenSSL DLLs allowing users to drop in which ever version they like.

Thanks again!!

Andy