[Python-Dev] Criticism of execfile() removal in Python3

Joseph Martinot-Lagarde joseph.martinot-lagarde at m4x.org
Thu Jun 19 21:39:20 CEST 2014

Le 15/06/2014 05:15, Steve Dower a écrit :
> So is exec(tokenize.open(file).read()) the actual replacement for
> execfile()? Not too bad, but still not obvious (or widely promoted - I'd
> never heard of it).

Another way is to open the file in binary, then exec() checks itself if
an encoding is defined in the file. This is what is used in spyder:

exec(open(file, 'rb').read())

Here is the discussion for reference:
https://bitbucket.org/spyder-ide/spyderlib/pull-request/3/execution-on-current-spyder-interpreter/diff

This behavior is not indicated in the documentation but is somehow
confirmed on stackoverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6357361/alternative-to-execfile-in-python-3-2/6357418?noredirect=1#comment30467918_6357418

---