[Python-Dev] Python 2.7 patch levels turning two digit

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Jun 23 22:31:03 CEST 2014

On Jun 23, 2014, at 04:20 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:

>At the risk of getting Guido to post his slide again, I still think the
>solution to the old compiler is to just roll a 2.8 with minimal changes.

No.  It's not going to happen, for all the reasons discussed previously.
Python 2.8 is not a solution to anything.

If a new, incompatible compiler suite is required, why can't there just be
multiple Windows downloads on https://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7.7/
?  Well, on reason is that you'd have to convince MvL or someone else to take
over the work that would require, but that's gotta be *much* lighter weight
than releasing a Python 2.8.

-Barry