[Python-Dev] PEP 471 -- os.scandir() function -- a better and faster directory iterator

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 08:47:21 CEST 2014

On 26 June 2014 23:59, Ben Hoyt <benhoyt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would love feedback on the PEP, but also of course on the proposal itself.

A solid +1 from me.

Some specific points:

- I'm in favour of it being in the os module. It's more discoverable
there, as well as the other reasons mentioned.
- I prefer scandir as the name, for the reason you gave (the output
isn't the same as an iterator version of listdir)
- I'm mildly against windows_wildcard (even though I'm a windows user)
- You mention the caching behaviour of DirEntry objects. The
limitations should be clearly covered in the final docs, as it's the
sort of thing people will get wrong otherwise.

Paul