[Python-Dev] Fix Unicode-disabled build of Python 2.7

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 12:58:54 CEST 2014

Hello,

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 22:49:40 +1000
Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 9:04 PM, Antoine Pitrou <antoine at python.org>
> wrote:
> > For the same reason, I agree with Victor that we should ditch the
> > threading-disabled builds. It's too much of a hassle for no actual,
> > practical benefit. People who want a threadless unicodeless Python
> > can install Python 1.5.2 for all I care.
>
> Or some other implementation of Python. It's looking like micropython
> will be permanently supporting a non-Unicode build

Yes.

> (although I stepped
> away from the project after a strong disagreement over what would and
> would not make sense, and haven't been following it since).

Your patches with my further additions were finally merged. Unicode
strings still cannot be enabled by default due to
https://github.com/micropython/micropython/issues/726 . Any help with
reviewing/testing what's currently available is welcome.

> If someone
> wants a Python that doesn't have stuff that the core CPython devs
> treat as essential, s/he probably wants something like uPy anyway.

I hinted it during previous discussions of MicroPython, and would like
to say it again, that MicroPython already embraced a lot of ideas
rejected from CPython, like GC-only operation (which alone not
something to be proud of, but can you start up and do something in 2K
heap?) or tagged pointers
(https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-July/046139.html).
So, it should be good vehicle to try any unorthodox ideas(*) or
implementations.

* MicroPython already implements intra-module constants for example.

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com