[Python-Dev] Why not make frames? [was: Reference cycles in Exception.__traceback__]

Jim J. Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 22:53:17 CET 2014

On Thu Mar 6 16:52:56 CET 2014, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

> IMO it is absolutely out of question to allow creation of arbitrary
> frames from Python code, because the structure and initialization of
> frames embody too many low-level implementation details.

So?

Does any of that matter until the frame is used to actually
evaluate something?

So what is the harm in creating a (likely partially invalid) frame
for inspection purposes?

For that matter, what is the point in tracebacks requiring frames,
as opposed to any object, with the caveat that not having the
expected attributes may cause grief -- as happens with any duck
typing?

-jJ

--

If there are still threading problems with my replies, please
email me with details, so that I can try to resolve them.  -jJ