[Python-Dev] What is the precise problem? [was: Reference cycles in Exception.__traceback__]

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 11:10:26 CET 2014

> How about fixing cyclic gc to deal with __del__ instead? That sounds
> like an awful change to the semantics.

Hum? That's the purpose of the PEP 442 which is implemented in Python 3.4.

As I wrote, it's not enough to fix all issues.

Usually, I see an explicit call to gc.collect() as a workaround to a
deeper issue. I prefer to modify my program to run smoothly without
explict garbage collection.

That's why I would prefer to avoid creating reference cycles from the beginning.

Victor