[Python-Dev] Windows 'for current user' installation - 32/64-bit registrations overwrite each other

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 14:54:10 CET 2014

On 10 March 2014 13:03, Jurko Gospodnetić <jurko.gospodnetic at pke.hr> wrote:
> Is this as issue or desired behaviour? Should I open an issue for it?

Sounds like a bug, but a pretty long-standing one. I can't think that
the registry schema Python uses would *ever* have distinguished (the
WOW64 component of the all-users entries is a system-generated thing,
AIUI).

So yes, raise a bug, but (a) it would be useful to test whether the
same bug exists in 3.3 and 2.7, and (b) it's going to be tricky to fix
without a backward-incompatible change to the registry settings (which
will affect things like the launcher and virtualenv, for a start).

Paul