[Python-Dev] Python 4: don't remove anything, don't break backward compatibility

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Mon Mar 10 16:31:42 CET 2014

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 8:55 AM, Victor Stinner
<victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> For example, I propose to release the next major Python version (3.5)
> with the version 4.0 but without removing anything.

People put a lot of weight behind version numbers, often much more
than they should. Jumping to 4.0 would be a PR nightmare and would
ultimately hurt this project as more people decide that switching to
another language will solve their problem better than jumping from 2.x
to 4.0. People already think 2.7 to 3.4 is enough of a burden.

Please do not do this.