[Python-Dev] Python 4: don't remove anything, don't break backward compatibility

Oleg Broytman phd at phdru.name
Mon Mar 10 18:44:56 CET 2014

Hi!

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 04:49:44PM +0000, Brett Cannon <bcannon at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it got lost in email threading, but Barry pointed out that Guido
> famously hates double digit version numbers (as do I, probably partially
> because he does after all these years =).

   There is one minor annoyance with double digits:

$ ls -l
total 16
drwx------ 2 phd phd 4096 Mar 10 21:42 3.1
drwx------ 2 phd phd 4096 Mar 10 21:42 3.10
drwx------ 2 phd phd 4096 Mar 10 21:42 3.2
drwx------ 2 phd phd 4096 Mar 10 21:42 4.0

   Other than that I don't see any problem, and don't see any need to
jump from 3.9 to 4.0.

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytman            http://phdru.name/            phd at phdru.name