[Python-Dev] Requesting pronouncement on PEP 463: Exception-catching expressions

Gustavo Carneiro gjcarneiro at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 17:41:14 CET 2014

On 12 March 2014 15:21, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 2:14 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>> > While I'm +0 on the idea, I'm -1 on the syntax;
>>

> I just don't like having a
>> > colon in an expression.

lambda: is an expression and has a colon in it.

It would be weird to use except: without a colon IMHO, because we are
already used to write except: with colon everywhere else...

Which is why there are alternatives listed, and the best four of them
>> (including the proposed one) ranked.
>>

> `value = (expr except Exception then default)` would be fine with me.

Do we really need to introduce a new keyword 'then' ?

I'm +1 on the original proposal (expr except Exception: default)

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
Gambit Research