[Python-Dev] Requesting pronouncement on PEP 463: Exception-catching expressions

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 11:10:42 CET 2014

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 8:15 PM, Victor Stinner
<victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Even if a PEP is rejected, it becomes the best reference if someone
> requests the same or a similar feature some months or years later.
> Rejected PEPs explain almost how the Python language was designed.
>
> For thanks Chris, and I hope that it's not too hard for you to accept
> the fact that your "inline try/except" idea is maybe not as good as
> you expected :-)

One of the original goals of the PEP was to get everything written
down. I actually didn't have any sort of strong opinion on the matter
until part way in; effectively, I had to first convince myself, then
try to convince others :) So it's not hard to accept that the idea
isn't such a good one.

ChrisA