[Python-Dev] Whats New in 3.4 is pretty much done...

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Mar 14 03:13:05 CET 2014

Georg Brandl writes:

 > I think Chris meant he'd sound like an ad for Coverity.

Oh, that.  IIRC, we pay them nothing for the service.  I know that
they do it in part for commercial reasons and that it undoubtedly
doesn't cost them a lot, but nonetheless it is a benefit that wouldn't
hurt for acknowledgment.  As compared to other volunteer contributors,
OK, maybe What's New is a bit prominent.

But the real reason is that a clean Coverity sweep for software is
like a Consumer Reports 5-star safety rating for automobiles.  It's a
a brand that signals quality, and an assessment independent of the
developing organization.  And like the 5-star rating, it cost effort
(I gather much of it from Chris himself) to keep that clean bill of
health from release to release.  It may not be "new," exactly, but
like the 5-star rating, I think our users want to know that it's
renewed with each release.