[Python-Dev] hg branching + log question

Jeff Allen ja.py at farowl.co.uk
Tue Mar 18 09:05:10 CET 2014

I have also found hg difficult to get to grips with from cold (but I
like it). The hg command and its help are good, as Antoine says, but if
I'm doing something complex, the visualisation of the change sets that
TortoiseHG provides is invaluable (and of other invisible structures,
such as the MQ patch stack). The context menus are also a clue to what
you might want to do next when you can't guess what word comes after hg
help ... .

I found it helpful to practice extensively on something that doesn't
matter. The gap for me is still examples of what I want "done well".
Clearly the Python repos represent complex work, but even accepting it
is all done well, are without much commentary. This is very good:
http://hgbook.red-bean.com/read/ , but there are hints it has not kept up.

This also: http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0385/

Jeff Allen