[Python-Dev] Making proxy types easier to write and maintain

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 04:49:34 CET 2014

On 20 Mar 2014 10:34, "Steven D'Aprano" <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 11:01:39PM +0100, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 07:54:39 +1000
> > Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Graeme Dumpleton has also subsequently written a library to handle
easier
> > > creation of correct proxy types: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/wrapt
> >
> > (is "Graeme" another spelling for "Graham"?)
>
> Yes.
>

> > > It isn't as simple as changing one lookup function though - abstract.c
> > > reads the type slots directly, and those are already hairy performance
> > > critical code paths (especially the binary operator type dispatch).
> >
> > Oh indeed, you're right. I think my proposal is taking water.
>
> Nevertheless, I would like to see a standard way to proxy dunder
> methods.

I had vague plans to bug Graham (yay, spelling!) about proposing wrapt for
inclusion in 3.5 (possibly split between functools and types rather than as
a completely new module, though).

functools.wraps was always intended as a near term workaround that, like
most sufficiently effective workarounds, ended lasting years before its
limitations irritated anyone enough for them to go back and do it right :)

Cheers,
Nick.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com