[Python-Dev] PEP 466: Proposed policy change for handling network security enhancements

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Mar 22 23:23:31 CET 2014

Am 22.03.14 23:05, schrieb Donald Stufft:
> I think the pep doesn't mandate that someone does. It still requires someone to care enough to actually write the patch. It just allows such a patch to be merged.

Does it actually? Unfortunately, I never got around to writing the PEP
on security-only branches, so the terminology of PEP 466 is unclear.
It says "maintenance brances", which could mean three things:
- all branches that have ever been made off default in
  hg.python.org/cpython (i.e. back to 2.0). This would be the
  traditional definition of "maintenance branch" in a version control
  system, but is probably not intended by the PEP
- all branches from which still releases are made (whether security-only
  or bug fix)
- all bug fix branches

Clarification of this is just a minor nit, though - although the
maintainers of the old maintenance branches should (IMO) have a say
whether they accept a certain change on a certain branch.

Regards,
Martin