[Python-Dev] PEP 466: Proposed policy change for handling network security enhancements

Ben Darnell ben at bendarnell.com
Sun Mar 23 02:17:09 CET 2014

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 8:55 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> What we have essentially found is that where we could basically get
> away with an 18 month update cycle for improved network security
> support (extended out to a few years by certain major platform
> vendors), that approach *isn't* working when it comes to putting a
> feature release into long term maintenance mode. I don't think the
> situation isn't critical yet, but it's getting close, and I think we
> need to deal with it within the 12 months (and preferably sooner than
> that).

This PEP as written applies to both Python 2.x and 3.x, but the two
situations are very different.  3.x is on a ~18 month update cycle, so why
isn't the status quo acceptable there?  Python 2.x has less than 18 months
of support left, so could it get by with a single exceptional release
instead of a general relaxing of the rules? (if it were up to me, I'd call
that release Python 2.8 instead of 2.7.7)  If this PEP is mainly about a
one-shot update to the security components of Python 2.x, I'd like to see
an explicit list of what is in scope for the update.

-Ben