[Python-Dev] PEP 466: Proposed policy change for handling network security enhancements

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Mar 24 15:18:49 CET 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> For example, RHEL7 and derivatives are already locked in to 2.7 until
> 2024, RHEL6 and derivatives are locked in to 2.6 until 2020. The only
> way to keep those combination of RHEL and the Python 2 standard
> library from holding back the evolution of internet security standards
> is to find a way solve the problem *within* the 2.7 line in such a way
> that I can then make the case for also backporting it to 2.6 in a
> RHEL6 point release.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm still a bit confused though. If there
are backward compatibility issues with the proposed changes (whatever
they turn out to be), are the commercial redistributors still going to
balk at releasing these changes to their customers? From the reading
I've done (this thread and your second iteration of the PEP), it seems
like application developers will have to make some changes to take
advantage of these updated security bits. Is there some path forward
that really makes everything a drop-in improvement, requiring no
change to application code, and breaking nothing that already works?

Skip