[Python-Dev] collections.sortedtree

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Mar 26 22:25:12 CET 2014

On Mar 26, 2014, at 01:55 PM, Benjamin Peterson wrote:

>It's not a bad idea. (I believe others have proposed an red-black tree.)
>Certainly, it requires a PEP and a few months of bikesheding, though.

Generally, PEPs aren't necessary for simple or relatively uncontroversial
additions to existing modules or the stdlib.

If you're proposing an addition to an existing module, file a tracker issue
and nosy the module expert (for collections, it's Raymond Hettinger[1]).
Others may see the new issue and decide to nosy themselves in if they want to
provide additional feedback and input.

If you're proposing an entirely new module, it's best to publish it first on
PyPI, get lots of users, and listen to their feedback as you evolve the
library.  Once you feel like it's had plenty of time to bake as a third party
module *and* the API is sufficiently stable that you won't mind the Python
stdlib 18 month development cycle, then you can propose that it be included in
Python.

Cheers,
-Barry

[1] http://docs.python.org/devguide/experts.html