[Python-Dev] collections.sortedtree

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Mar 28 05:26:21 CET 2014

Maciej Fijalkowski writes:

 > I just find "my company is stupid

I find labeling companies as "stupid", merely because they are
cautious about what external code they allow their developers to
depend on, unacceptable.  And I'll go to the trouble of explaining
why.

 > so let's work around it by putting stuff to python standard
 > library" unacceptable argument for python-dev and all the python
 > community.

Then you're completely missing the point.  There are two issues in
including code in the Python standard library.  The first is technical
excellence.  You need to hurdle a certain bar, or the code won't go
in.  Furthermore, this bar includes a comprehensive set of regression
tests.  This implies that (1) human review of the code is on average
much easier for CPython stdlib code than for PyPI code, and (2) a
claim that no relevant-to-the-company behavior has actually changed is
(again, on average) much more verifiable and plausible for CPython
than for PyPI code.  This is at least some convenience for *all*
users, and a near necessity for some strictly controlled environments.
In the latter, the "gatekeeper" is all too likely to say "PyPI?  Bring
us a CTO signoff that 'this module is essential', or forget it".

The second is a purely economic tradeoff: is the value of Python
aggregated across all our users better enhanced by restricting
additions to the stdlib, and thus reducing future maintenance effort
and (presumably) increasing the rate at which Python code is improved,
or by improving the batteries that are included (with the opposite
effects)?  That's a judgment call.