[Python-Dev] pip: cdecimal an externally hosted file and may be unreliable [sic]

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu May 8 17:24:47 CEST 2014

On May 8, 2014, at 11:19 AM, Stefan Krah <stefan at bytereef.org> wrote:

> Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>> hosted packages are brittle and more prone to failure. Every single external
>> server adds *another* SPOF into any particular install set. Even if every
>> external server has a 99.9% uptime, when you combine multiple of them the total
>> uptime of any particular set of requirements drops quickly. This has been a
>> major complaint that people have had over time.
>
> We have been through that many times; to me this is an indication that
> people are using pip under circumstances when they should not.  pip is
> not apt-get.
>
> [I am aware that *you* know that, just stating it again for the broader
> audience.]
>

>>> 2) Last time I looked, access credentials (via "lost login") were sent
>>>    out in plaintext.
>>
>> The existence of other security issues is not an excuse to not fix a security
>> issue. There are other problems and we're slowly working on trying to clear
>> them out.
>
> It is, however, a reason to avoid error messages that could *imply* (rightly
> or wrongly) to users that the combination of pip and internal packages is
> safe.
>

>>> 3) AFAIK people can upload a different (malicious) version of a
>>>    package with *the exact same name*.
>>
>> Yes, a malicious author is needfully outside of the threat model for PyPI/pip.
>
> How so?  I'm avoiding this attack by publishing sha256sums at release time.
> The point is that I *cannot* change cdecimal-2.3.tar.gz without a user digging
> up a checksum mismatch from the mailing list archives.

Practically speaking exactly zero people will ever bother to dig up the checksum
from a mailing list archive, or even verify the hash that you have right on PyPI
itself. Worse security that people actually use is infinitely better than better
security that nobody uses.

>>> 6) D.J. Bernstein, who is somewhat security minded, has been shipping
>>>    his software *for years* with just plain HTTP and published checksums.
>>
>> Argument from authority doesn't really hold up very well when DJB doesn't
>> distribute is software in a way that is intended to be consumed mechanically.
>> Also while he may be a crypto expert he is far from an expert on successfully
>> distributing software, unless you also think that the signature checking in
>> most OS provided package managers is pointless.
>
> That is sort of a strawman.  The whole point *is* that certain distribution
> models don't lend themselves to mechanical consumption.  I cannot speak
> for DJB, perhaps he is just thinking that GPG signing is pointless if
> users can't validate the signature and SSL is pointless because one cannot
> trust governments.
>
> OS package signing is useful since the packages are curated.  If anyone
> could upload a package to Debian, whereupon it would be signed with the
> official key, apt-get would lose its usefulness.

People are going to mechanically consume them. You can tell them it’s wrong
all you want but they are going to do it.