[Python-Dev] Questions regarding Windows buildbots

Claudiu Popa pcmanticore at gmail.com
Tue May 13 00:16:36 CEST 2014

Hello!

I'm working on a patch for issue bugs.python.org/issue8579 (Add
missing tests for FlushKey, LoadKey, and SaveKey in winreg). This
issue requires the SeBackupPrivilege in order to use LoadKey and
SaveKey. While acquiring the privilege
isn't very complicated using ctypes, it fails with
ERROR_NOT_ALL_ASSIGNED (1300) when the
user has Administrative privileges, but it's not an Administrator,
problem which can be eluded by
running the script with elevated privileges. This leads me to a couple
of questions:

- should a Windows test be skipped if it can't acquire a certain privilege?

- If we can acquire the privilege by elevating our process, does the
Windows buildbots have UAC
 enabled and if so, how's the notification setting configured? For
instance, elevating a process will
 trigger a new UAC window with the message "Do you want to allow the
following program from an unknown publisher to make  changes to this
computer?" on the recommended configuration, but this doesn't happen
when the configuration is set to  "Never notify".

Thank you.