[Python-Dev] Where is our official policy of what platforms we do support?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed May 14 16:42:47 CEST 2014

On Wed, 14 May 2014 14:20:26 +0000
Brett Cannon <bcannon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Over the past week or so there have been 2 patches to add support for
> various UNIX OSs. Now I thought we had stopped trying to add new esoteric
> OSs (e.g. I had never heard of MirOS until the patch for it came in), but I
> can't find a PEP that spells out what it takes to get a platform supported (
> http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0011/ is about removing platforms,
> not keeping them or adding them unless you are re-adding one which
> apparently just takes a volunteer).

OTOH you can fix a platform bug without officially supporting it. If
someone files an OpenBSD-specific patch, it may make sense to commit it
even without officially supporting OpenBSD. In practice it all depends
on how intrusive / reasonable the patch is, and whether it is working
around a platform-specific bug rather than a standards-compliant
limitation.

(we could call those "stochastically supported platforms" :-))

Regards

Antoine.